Monday, November 15, 2010

Second Visit to B&G Club

I am very pleased to say that my second visit with the Boys and Girls club was much more successful than the last. The last girl I worked with, Latia, decided to withdraw from the program which discouraged me in the beginning. However I was assigned to work with another girl, Star, and she was much more enthusiastic about the whole project.

Star and I went into the computer lab to go over her interview and begin assembling a script. I nearly jumped with excitement when I found out that she had not only completed the interview, but she also had a detailed biography given to her by the woman she interviewed. This made my job much easier. We read through the notes and biography together and decided the most important points to include in the script. What surprised me was how much of the interview Star recalled off of the top her head. She was able to recite to me most of the information that was on the sheet which let me know that she was interested and genuinely cared about writing about the woman.

When we got to writing the script it was a piece of cake. I had Star read over the notes I had written and pick out the key points. She had a good sense of how to write the script, going in chronological order and finding a general theme. There were 4 "pearls of wisdom" given to Star from the woman that she got to choose from. I told her that she should read over all of them and tell me which one stood out to her the most from the interview. She picked the one about God and we talked about the importance of God in not only the woman's life, but in her life. This gave us ample thing to talk about in the rest of the script and gave it a nice overall tone.

I am very pleased with the experience I had today and I am look forward to going back on Monday to do the recording with Star!

1 comment:

  1. Emma-

    My experience is similar to yours the second time around at the Boys and Girls Club. My student was more interested in the digital story, and had even completed her interview. Although she forgot her question/answer sheet, which made things more difficult, I was able to draw from her memory some of what she learned about her father, who she interviewed, and began to write a nice bit of the script

    ReplyDelete